Friday, October 13, 2006

FILM | Scoop

Scoop Movie PosterScoop (2006)
Directed by Woody Allen
Starring Woody Allen, Scarlett Johansson & Hugh Jackman

I confess I've never been a fan of Woody Allen's. I know The Brat likes Woody, but I don't get him. He's fidgety, nervous, self-conscious - I don't get it.

So how do I like Scoop - the cinematic latest enterprise from Woody Allen? I like.

My initial motivation for watching the film was Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson. How can I not watch a movie with Hugh (Hugh! Hugh! Hugh!) and Scarlett? I wasn't expecting to like it, but I was entertained.

Woody Allen and Scarlett Johansson work well together as a comedic part. Most of the time it's Woody's nervous lines that set the laughs, but together they are fun. That line about how if they put their heads together "you'll hear a hollow noise" - you can see that. They are both such awkward, bumbling fools trying their legs at detective work they make you root for them.

And On her own, Scarlett Johansson's gawky, be-spectacled reporter character is endearing too. She was enthralling in Lost in Translation with her soulful, waifish blondeness. In Scoop, it's how she's obviously Scarlett Johansson - and yet convincingly unconscious of her own beauty. It warms me to her character.

Unbearable Hugh!

Next reason I like Scoop (or another reason why I love Hugh Jackman)- Hugh Jackman appearing in swimsuit, looking all wet and with a wide, wide smile. "You have great enamel," says Scarlett Johansson. Oh yes, I agree.

Yes, the character's flat and he doesn't do much acting in the movie. But he does the most important bit - striding around looking beautiful in his usual full-blooded stud-muffinness. What is it with Australia that has all these beautiful, heterosexual men that oozes such musculine charm? Just look at Eric Bana, Heath Ledger and even Russell Crowe has his own beefy manliness to him; I offer L.A. Confidential as supporting evidence to the meaty beauty of Crowe. (And in spite of what some people say, I think he pulled off Master and Commander splendidly. If I was the monarch of England, I want Russell Crowe commanding my warships).

Yes, the plot is thin, but it's a nice entertaining movie for a weekend. Woody Allen never meant for this to be a serious movie. That's why he threw in the bit with Death and the souls of the dead. And who can forget dark Ian McShane without his mustache? If you've watched Deadwood, you know how sexy that man can be with his rumbling voice.

Scoop is just fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, i adore Woody, and Anthony Hopkins. And i still cannot understand why people like non-men like Jake Gyllenhall or Orlando Bloom. Bland.

darkorpheus said...

Yes, I agree on the Gyllenhall & Orlando bit.

I find girlish affections for Orlando Bloom bordering on lesbianism.