Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mary Oliver | Praying

I thought this poem makes a great bookend to "After Her Death."


Praying


It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

~ Mary Oliver


I admit to being somewhat irreligious - an experience that came out of an antagonistic childhood spent in a mission school. Yet paradoxically, for the greater part of my life, I have sought out the spiritual, because while I am cynical about institutionalised religions, I believe, because I have felt it in my life - a presence of the divine in the world.

And I believe in prayer, in all the different ways people do it.

3 comments:

LK said...

I am finding all of the Mary Oliver poems very soothing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca H. said...

What a beautiful poem.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mary Oliver's poems are just so beautiful and heart-lifting, aren't they?

Simple, honest and so profound.