Sunday, January 22, 2006

Books: Books That You Love Most

About five years ago, while preparing for the anniversary of the store, CC asked for three books that I loved the most.

I considered the question. I chose:
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Villette By Charlotte Bronte
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

    Dostoevsky haunts me still, but Crime and Punishment, by virtue of being my first Dostoevsky, stands in an esteemed position above the rest of his works.

    To Kill a Mockingbird? Villette? At that time, they were the only books that made me cry. A few more came after that day.

    Later that same evening, I had dinner with BMH and DA. I told them CC asked for my favourite books - and before I could reveal the titles I had chosen, BMH said she would pick Villette.

    "Most people will pick Jane Eyre but I think Villette is better," she said matter-of-factly. BMH loved Charlotte Bronte. The only person I know who have read all the Brontes, and all the Bronte biographies available.

    Then, in a soft voice, DA told us about her love of Harper Lee's little novel.

    I was stunned. And in the discussion that ensued on the books we love, I never got around to revealing my 3 choices.

    I regret having lost BMH and DA as my friends.
  • 2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I'm so blonde. My three favourite books as of now.....

    The Work of Nations by Robert Reich

    Spirited Away (might i add, the japanese manga full-coloured version)

    All my Garfield comics.

    Heehee.

    darkorpheus said...

    Wah, not bad, just like my Store Director.

    54 year old who doesn't read book except comics.

    Very good. Got future in the industry.