Thursday, January 05, 2006

DVD: In the Mood For Love - Criterion Collection

In the Mood For Love - The Criterion Collection
Directed by Wong Kar Wai

There are many reasons to watch this film over and over again - although my personal favourite is watching Maggie Cheung (in cheongsum, with tiffin carrier) just sashay sashay to the soundtrack.

Nerd that I am, I did not realise the Spanish music were from Nat King Cole. But of course Wong Kar Wai will inform you as much in the interview on Disc 2 of the Criterion Collection of this film.

Did I mention Mr Wong does all his interviews with sunglasses on? Did his mother teach him nothing?

While watching the Wong Kar Wai interviews, it struck me that if I didn't know better, Wong Kar Wai has the sort of face you wouldn't find very talented. In fact, he could be mistaken for a typical sweaty Mainland Chinese businessman in the "import-export" trade.

I have been accused of being overly harsh on Ziyi Zhang in 2046. Perhaps I am. Ms Maggie Cheung is beautiful in this movie. It's incredible how she evolved from the buck-teeth little duckling she was in the 1980s to become the actress she is today.

No comments: