Friday, January 06, 2006

Reading Detox

Kathryn Hughes decides to ditch her bad reading habits
Saturday December 31, 2005
The Guardian
'Tomorrow I am going to start my detox. This, though, won't involve giving up booze, steaming vegetables or running round the park crossly at dawn, but something altogether more difficult. I have pledged instead to refine my reading habits, turning myself from a greedy omnivore who snuffles around dustbins looking for left-overs when she's not even hungry, into an aesthetic and disciplined reader who snacks only on the best quality, high-fibre fare. Over the next 12 months I am resolved to effect a personal transformation from a dumpling of a print consumer who crams herself with anything she can get her hands on, into a discerning connoisseur with sharp literary cheekbones and not a spare ounce of fat. Ladies and Gentleman, I am, finally, going to learn to say "no".'

Easier said than done. Somewhere along the way there will be some trashy reading material that looks interesting (or sexy). And then your ambitious 100 Books To Read reading plan will be fucked.

Oh wait, that's me.

No comments: