Tuesday, September 12, 2006

POETRY | Walking Home from Oak-Head

I was browsing through my September/October 2006 issue of Utne magazine. They have included a Mary Oliver poem from her latest collection, Thirst. The collection is due out this October, published by Beacon Press.

I adore Mary Oliver’s writings. I look to her poetry and essays for that breath of fresh air.



Walking Home from Oak-Head


by Mary Oliver


There is something
    about the snow-laden sky
        in the winter
            in the late afternoon

that brings to the heart elation
    and the lovely meaninglessness
        of time.
            Whenever I get home - whenever -

somebody loves me there.
    Meanwhile
       I stand in the same dark peace
            as any pine tree,

or wander on slowly
    like the still unhurried wind,
        waiting,
            as for a gift,

for the snow to begin
    which it does
        as first casually,
            then, irrepressibly.

Wherever else I live -
    in music, in words
        in the fires of the heart,
            I abide just as deeply

in this nameless, indivisible place,
    this world,
        which is falling apart now,
            which is white and wild,

Which is faithful beyond all our expressions of faith,
    our deepest prayers.
        Don't worry, sooner or later I'll be home.
            Red-cheeked from the roused wind,

I'll stand in the doorway
    stamping my boots and slapping my hands,
        my shoulders
            covered with stars.

No comments: