Sunday, June 03, 2007

CHALLENGE | Southern Reading Challenge Begins

Maggie's Southern Reading Challenge 2007 starts today!

Challenge starts 1st June, until 30th August 2007. The challenge is to read 3 Southern books by Southern authors. One may substitute two movies based on a book/play by a Southern author for one book

As usual, if I don't own the books, I will try to get the books from the libraries or from friends. No buying of new books for the challenges.

My Reading List for the Challenge:

The Complete Stories Flannery O'Connor
The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter Carson McCullers
The Color Purple Alice Walker

Options:
Orpheus Descending Tennessee Williams
Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady Florence King

Film Options:
Slingblade
Monster's Ball
Fried Green Tomatoes
Cold Mountain

4 comments:

maggie moran said...

You know, I was wondering if you would be doing TN Williams namesake play! Have fun reading and thanks for participating!

darkorpheus said...

Hi Maggie, actually, I was thinking since the Complete Flannery O'Connor is quite thick, if I can't finish it by August, I'll pick up William's play. Hee. I realise I need to keep options as a way out sometimes. :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm also reading books I already own. Gotta work on whittling down the stacks you know :)
Which book are you starting with first?

darkorpheus said...

Ah, Iliana - that's a good question. A good *diificult* question.

I'll probably start with the Flannery O'Connor collection, but I'll also probably be bringing "The Color Purple" to work, to read on the way and back.

I'm an octopus and I have a compulsive need to multi-task!