Sunday, January 11, 2009

Brandi Carlile Singing Hallelujah

I first posted a Brandi Carlile cover of "Hallelujah" here. But soon after, the video was taken offline by the powers that be. My friend calls them Youtube-Nazis. :)

Here's another video of Brandi Carlile's rendition of the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah". Here she's playing the piano, while the previous video I posted has Brandi Carlile on guitar, accompanied by an orchestra. Nevertheless I am impressed by how different this version is from her usual acoustic cover of "Hallelujah". She takes this one song and it becomes a part of her, and it expresses how she feels at that moment, so that it is her song, even though many people have covered it along the years.

I love how it ends, with that anguished cry of Hallelujah.

<a href="http://video.msn.com/?playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:5618a944-27f6-49a3-8499-7beb7934b1c7&showPlaylist=true" target="_new" title="Brandi Carlile - Seattle - 20071102 - 21 - Hallelujah">Video: Brandi Carlile - Seattle - 20071102 - 21 - Hallelujah</a>

Screw you, Youtube-Nazis!

5 comments:

purplefugue said...

I've never heard of Brandi Carlile but I like her rendition. I think she's the first female I've heard sing this. Don't understand your comment though. :-P

darkorpheus said...

I posted a Youtube video of her cover of "Hallelujah" some time back but the Youtube Nazis pulled the video offline. So, I found another video! :)

Anonymous said...

love this, thank you!
never heard of Brandi Carlile either but now I have will definitely be finding out more!

Anonymous said...

I was amazed to come to your site and hear Hallelujah echoing. I posted a Christmas entry called Hidden Hallelujahs on my own blog and included K.D.Lang's unbelievably powerful version. I think you might enjoy it.

Now that I have that out of the way, I'll go back and continue to enjoy your site! Thanks so much for including Brandi Carlile.

darkorpheus said...

Ovidia - You're welcome. And oh yes, oh yes, you need to check out "The Story" by Brandi Carlile. Beautiful song.

Shoreacres - Hallelujah is just in the air these days. I have the kd lang version - and I caught her in concert a whie back - it was a wonderful performance.