It's Saturday -- so guess what I did? I bought books.
There was a warehouse sale -- by invitation only. Fifty percent off all books. Yes, 50% off all books.
1. In Praise of Shadows Junichiro Tanizaki
2. The Cossacks Leo Tolstoy
3. The Hall of a Thousand Columns Tim Mackintosh-Smith
4. The Places In Between Rory Stewart
5. Passage to Juneau: A Sea & Its Meanings Jonathan Raban
6. Journey Without Maps Graham Greene
7. The Lawless Roads Graham Greene
8. The Temptation of Saint Anthony Gustave Flaubert
9. The Married Man Edmund White
10. The Collected Stories Grace Paley
11. Foreign Devils on the Silk Road Peter Hopkirk
12. The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia Peter Hopkirk
There was immense self-restraint -- considering the circumstances. Besides these, I was also looking for some Maugham novels, but they're out of stock. How can anyone be out of stock for Maugham?
Also picked up an uncorrected and INCOMPLETE bound proof copy of Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road. Yes, it's incomplete. But I suppose if I don't like the first 170 pages, I'm not going to continue reading the book anyway.