Monday, March 10, 2008

Results on My Check-Up

Right now I am angry -- because when I first started having mild pains in my lower abodmen, I went to my company's doctor. She sent me off without any ultrasound or any follow-up; said it was just -- one of those things that happen. F**K.

I didn't trust her, so I scheduled a check-up with ultrasound today. I have hoped it would be quick -- that I could just dive in and out before lunch and go for an afternoon yoga class. Nope. No such luck.

My paranoia was unfortunately proven correct: the ultrasound revealed a dermoid cyst about 7.3 cm (or about 2.87 inches). I spent several hours trying not to panic and trying to schedule a laparoscopy for the first week of April. What is scary is that there is a lot of unknown factors in the equation. And right now I am filling up the forms for my appointment with the Medical Social Worker for subsidy on my surgery. But as there was no referral from my company doctor, I suspect I might not qualify for the subsidy -- and that means some hefty bills.

What a way to spend my birthday, worrying about surgery.

But in a way, I am so glad I did not trust that company doctor. Otherwise, I would not have known about the cyst.

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

Gah, I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope you do get the subsidy and that everything turns out okay.

darkorpheus said...

Nymeth Thank you. I hope it's going to be fine too. There's so much paperwork involved. I'm glad I went for the ultrasound though.

What they say is true -- we need to go for those yearly check-ups just to make sure everything is fine.

chrisa511 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that, D-O :( It's a good thing you went for that ultrasound though and that hopefully you can get this taken care of soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you qualify for the subsidy. Is today your birthday?

Chris said...

So that's why you were worried about your appointment. I was wondering if it might be more than a routine check-up. I am very sorry for all the worry and pain-in-the-butt this is causing you, but at least they found out what was wrong. I hope the surgery works out and that that's the end of it. Hang in there.

woyo chris

Rebecca H. said...

Well, I'm glad you are getting things checked out properly. I do hope the subsidy works out.

darkorpheus said...

Chris Thank you -- and please, keep me in your good thoughts. I need all the good karma I can get.

My birthday is March 24th -- but since it's impossible to meet all my friends -- many of whom don't know each other (or they don't always get along) I usually schedule my birthday meet-ups through out the month.

WoYo Chris Thank you -- yeah, this is one of those instance when I prefer to be wrong. *sigh*

Dorothy Thank you -- right now it seems my company's insurance is taking care of my medical bill, so things should be fine.

Jill said...

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear about this! I am glad that you trusted your instincts, though, and got it checked out. Hang in there. Hugs from VA!!!!

darkorpheus said...

Darla Thank you. I'm hanging in there, and actually, pretty much psyched to do it.