Friday, March 09, 2007

BOOKS | Theme Reading Lists II

I'm having too much fun with the lists. Oh dear. ;p

THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES IS DEADLIER THAN THE MALE
1. The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas
Milady.
2. Armadale Wilkie Collins
Lydia Gwilt. Seductive, tragic, passionate. Did I mention she's also a roaring red-head? Her real crime is that she was born a woman with a man's ambition and courage.
3. Queen of the South Arturo Perez-Reverte
Perez-Reverte knows how to play up the noirish femme fatale. Here, he rewrites The Count of Monte Cristo with a female twist.
4. The Seville Communion by Arturo Perez-Reverte
One particular scene: the femme fatale lights a cigarette, then proceeds to tuck her lighter under her bra-strap - it struck me as a gesture most erotic.
5. The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte
Adela de Otero. Her intricate knowledge of fencing and the mysterious, tiny scar at the corner of her mouth that hints at dark violence.
6. Waltz into Darkness by Cornell Woolrich
I confess: I want to read this title because the Angelina Jolie movie, Original Sins, was based on this book.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have every book on this list on my TBR pile as well! I had no idea they made the Woolrich into a movie. I love this type of book!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of what other lists I could come up with too! So fun. I was able to get a bunch of the Perez-Reverte books at the book sale I went to last week so I can't wait to get to them.

darkorpheus said...

Danielle: I think there was an earier film adaptation that stars Catherine Deneuve. Directed by Truffant.

Iliana: I really enjoy Perez-Reverte. He writes the kind of story that really pushes my buttons - the right kind of hero, the right kind of villians. Do share what you think of his books.

Lisa said...

It's addicting to make lists! I keep thinking of other lists I could have made.

I love your lists in the sidebar too.

darkorpheus said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for dropping by. Yeah, a lot of lists on this blog, aren't there.

My friend once made the observation: "Geeks make lists."

I probably score an A for Geekhood. *grin*