Wednesday, March 21, 2007

BUYING BOOKS | Ferlinghetti and West

Trying out my dad's camera, so here's the book purchases of the day (the duckie is just something sitting at my desk):

1. A Coney Island of the Mind: Poems, by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
I've been hoping to pick up Lawrence Ferlinghetti for the longest time.This is the first collection of his that I'm finally going to read. There's something I admire about his bohemian spirit and his insistence that poetry and literature are mainstream and relevant in our lives. Now into his 80s, he's still very much engaged in the arts and culture scene. You can say his whole life is the arts.

I've set aside 24th March to read this collection - because it is Ferlinghetti's birthday - as it is mine.

2. Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia, by Rebecca West
A lot of book bloggers have been raving about Rebecca West for a while. Since Penguin Classics has a new edition of Black Lamb and Grey Falcon out, so I thought I check it out. I was not prepared for all 1181 pages of it though. Amazon described it as "[p]art travelogue, part history, part love letter on a thousand-page scale" - and something of a Balkan Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I love history on an epic scale, and I'm waiting to set aside time for this.

No comments: