Thursday, March 08, 2007

BOOKS | Theme Reading Lists

Recently some bloggers [ Pages Turned & A Work In Progress] featured their Theme Reading List. Since I'm totally unoriginal but absolutely geek, I'm posting some lists of my own.

    THE GLORY THAT WAS ROME :
  1. Memoirs of Hadrian Marguerite Yourcenar

  2. The Claudius Novels Robert Graves

  3. The History of Rome Michael Grant

  4. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Edward Gibbon

  5. The Twelve Caesars Suetonius

    ICE:
  1. Skating to Antarctica Jenny Diski

  2. This Cold Heaven : Seven Seasons in Greenland Gretel Ehrlich

  3. The Ice Museum Joanna Kavenna

  4. Ice Vladimir Sorokin

  5. The Ice Cave: A Woman's Adventures from the Mojave to the Antarctic Lucy Jane Bledsoe

    SOLITUDE:
  1. Walden and Other Writings Henry David Thoreau

  2. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek Annie Dillard

  3. A Pelican In the Wilderness: Hermits, Solitaries and Recluses Isabel Colegate

  4. Solitude: A Return to the Self Anthony Storr

  5. Stillness: Daily Gifts of Solitude Richard Mahler

  6. Journal of a Solitude May Sarton

  7. Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

6 comments:

LK said...

Niiicce. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love these lists. I'm going to try making my own and posting it tonight.

Rebecca H. said...

I'm curious what you will think about Memoirs of Hadrian; I read it a while back and found it very, very slow, but I don't think I read it in the right circumstances and probably didn't do it justice.

darkorpheus said...

LK: The list-making is utterly geek, isn't it? ;p

Iliana: Just checked out your list. Fun! "Passport required" - I have some of those too.

Dorothy W: Will try to get around to Memoirs Of Hadrian soon. I have to admit Marguerite Yourcenar's reputation - first woman to be elected to the Académie Française - it makes me curious and intimidated at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Great lists!! Almost all the titles are new to me. It's sort of fun to put books together as similar reads.

Heather said...

These lists will be the happy death of me!!