Monday, April 16, 2007

CHALLENGE | Non-Fiction Five Challenge


May - September
5 Books/5 Months

The Non-Fiction Five Challenge is up, and it's hosted by Joy of "Thoughts of Joy". I'm taking the plunge and signing up. But I've added a few additional conditions for myself:

Books chosen must be books I already owned before 2007 or otherwise from the library. This means no buying of new books for this challenge. I'm really trying to cut down on my book buying.

I will only finalise the reading list for the challenge sometime in April. Meanwhile, here are the titles under consideration:

This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland by Gretel Ehrlich
Ten Thousand Miles Without A Cloud by Sun Shuyun
Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
Stiff or Spook, both by Mary Roach
River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West by Rebecca Solnit
Freedom from Fear by Aung San Suu Kyi
God's Terrorist: The Wahhabi Cult And the Hidden Roots of Modern Jihad by Charles Allen

[Update: 14 March 2007]
Confirmed:

1. Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes
2. River of Shadows by Rebecca Solnit
3. Ten Thousand Miles Without A Cloud by Sun Shuyun
4. Freedom from Fear: And Other Writings by Aung San Suu Kyi
5. This Cold Heaven by Gretel Ehrlich

6 comments:

LK said...

I have Spook -- just haven't gotten to it yet!

You've got such interesting titles -- tough choices!

darkorpheus said...

Thanks! I have "Stiff" - but I can't decide whether to start reading "Stiff" or "Spook" - they both seem so interesting.

The bittersweet dilemma of so many books, can't decide which to read first.

Joy said...

Hi! Welcome to the Non-Fiction Five challenge! I'm glad to see you have your choices posted. And good idea on picking them from your own stash. :) Some other participants have SPOOK AND STIFF on their list...I have to find out more about them.

Happy Reading!

darkorpheus said...

Hi Joy, Thanks for dropping by. The Non-Fiction Five is a great gig. And yes, "Stiff" and "Spook" are just so interesting. What to pick?

So looking forward to May, when the party starts! ;)

Literary Feline said...

I have not heard of any of your final choices, although I did look the titles up online and they all sound intriguing (especially Ten Thousand Miles Without A Cloud and This Cold Heaven). I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on each of them.

darkorpheus said...

Hi Literary Feline,

"This Cold Heaven" and "Ten Thousand Miles Without A Cloud" are titles I've been dying to read for the longest time. Just need to set aside time for them, adn this challenge seems like a good time to do so.

Will post as I read them, definitely.