Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flat Tire is also Part of the Journey

There is a problem in thinking that you are supposed to be advancing in your practice all the time. You don’t have to constantly be on the road. If you have a flat tire, that is also part of the journey. Ambition makes you feel that you are not doing anything. There seems to be a hypnotic quality to ambition and speed, so that you feel that you are standing still just because you want to go so fast. You might actually be getting close to your goal.
~ Chogyam Trungpa


Well, flat tire fixed. Time to move on.

Sometimes - actually, many, many, many times, it feels like I'm not moving anywhere on my practice. In fact, often it feels like I'm going backwards. I don't know if the "flat tire" is really part of the journey, and if I am actually getting close to my goal - if there's any. I just know that I need to continue going in the right direction, no matter how much the people around me mock me. No matter how they tell me I have not changed. I'm not doing this for them, although in a paradoxical way, I am. I am doing this for myself, although paradoxically, it doesn't work if the motivation is selfish.

No comments: