Wednesday, February 20, 2008

10 Ways to Save Money on Books

(Found this via Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind)

All very sound advice. Goodness knows we all need to save a little money. Application may be a little tricky though. But I wholeheartedly applaud this little nugget: Frequent your public library.

When I was growing up, my parents brought me to the library more often than the shopping mall. They are the kind of parents who are reluctant to spend money on frivolous items -- like toys, fanciful clothes, impractical shoes, make-up. The only things they are really willing to pay for were books. But they also believe in the library.

So do I.

Frequent your public library. It's also better for the environment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for libraries!

I had to laugh at "Buy only what you intend to read." Every book I buy I intend to read it. I am full of good intentions. But I have books on my shelves I bought years ago and still haven't read. But I still intend to read them!

darkorpheus said...

Stefanie Our unread books are evidence of all our good intentions. :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

Hooray for libraries!!! I've checked out and read 4 books from the library thus far this year...way more than I have in the last 2 years, at least, combined. I've also checked out about 15 or 16 DVDs/videos which has saved on rental money.

Bybee said...

Oh yes! If you have a library, go there! I miss hanging out in libraries so much!

darkorpheus said...

Carl Good for you. And the year is still young. And money saved means...more money for more books! ;p

Bybee No libraries in Korea? Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

Now that I'm going through books on the shelf that I need to get rid of, I should frequent the libraries more, at least the university library. I buy a lot of books out of impulse, and that needs to stop. Maybe I just have an obsession to own things!

darkorpheus said...

Matt I am with you on the need to possess. But John Ruskin believe that it is human nature to want to possess beauty. That's why we take photos on holidays, why we buy paintings, why we buy books.