Thursday, February 28, 2008

SIFF 2008

Here it is -- the schedule for the annual Singapore International Film Festival. I missed the last two film fests because I was away, but this year I'm sticking around.

I'm studying the film selection and pencilling in the shortlist. But there are at least two films are definitely my MUST-WATCH:

  • I'm Not There -- the quirky production that has different actors (Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger and Christian Bale among them) playing different manifestations of Bob Dylan. I've been waiting for this one since I heard about it last year.
  • The Last Mistress -- directed by Catherine Breillat and stars Asia Argento. A French period piece that has Asia Argento playing a devious courtesan whose young lover is to be married to a pure, virginal lady.

5 comments:

Ana S. said...

I really must watch I'm Not There too. I have the soundtrack and some of the covers are really, really good.

I don't think I'd heard of The Last Mistress before, but it sounds interesting.

Bybee said...

I really want to see I'm Not There.

darkorpheus said...

Nymeth I have the soundtrack to "I'm Not There" too! :)

"The Last Mistress" by Catherine Breillat feels like a sort of Dangerous Liaison riff. But Breillat is one of the more provocative film-makers in the industry and I think it will be interesting.

Bybee Yay! But it is going to show in Korea?

Bybee said...

The pirating industry is alive and healthy in SK. Not to mention downloads.

darkorpheus said...

Bybee Ah. The "shadow industry" -- totally understand the situation with pirated dvds