Thursday, February 07, 2008

MUSIC | k.d. lang, Duffy and Cat Power

I found out from the new issue of Shambhala Sun magazine that k.d. lang has a new album out recently, entitled Watershed. Her last album was a duet with Tony Bennett, and before that, Hymns of the 49th Parallel was a collection of covers. Watershed, as the title implies, mark a significant moment of her 25 year music career. This is the first time she is producing her own album, and I like the simplicity of the songs on the album. Often in an artiste's career, they come to a point when they know they no longer have anything to prove. Their music takes on a contemplative tone, they are at peace with themselves and that is when their music becomes more personal, and perhaps more intimate. This album reminds me of that.

This video is of k.d. lang performing "I Dream Of Spring" at "An Enduring Vision," a benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation on September 25th, 2007.

I still stand in awe of this amazing voice.



Someone pointed me to upcoming Welsh singer, Duffy recently as the new act to check out. So I did, and I find myself a little taken with this retro 60s single, "Mercy". Oh, the dancing, the grooving, the moves. Makes me think of Edie Sedgewick.

Duffy's debut album, Rockferry, is schedule for a March 2008 release.

www.iamduffy.com




Cat Power's smokey vox is an amber, melancholic blend of cognac with French cigarettes. More than just a singer, she is chanteuse, with all the elegant association of smokey jazz cabaret, silk and glitter, and tragic, ruined lives.

Her new album, Jukebox is her second covers album, and as always, she does great songs in her own style. You wouldn't recognise the songs from their original - I didn't, until I paid attention to the lyrics.

This video is of Cat Power performing her version of Sinatra's "New York". I love the languor in that voice.


5 comments:

Melwyk said...

Isn't k.d. just stunning? I was so glad to see a new album. I think her cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" (from Hymns of the 49th Parallel) is one of the most astonishing things I've heard in a long time.

darkorpheus said...

Melanie I know exactly what you mean. I have her cover of "Hallujah" on my mpeg player.

Got to see her in concert a few years back when she was touring Asia for Hymns of the 49th Parallel - I was blissed out. :)

Stefanie said...

I love k.d. lang. her voice is so smooth. I thought I had seen something flash by on Barnes and Noble's website the other day but I thought they were advertising an old album. Will definitely have to get my hands on her new one!

darkorpheus said...

Stefanie Watershed is pretty light, a little bit like sipping on light champagne.

Ana S. said...

I need to get Jukebox. The other day I entered a bookshop and they were playing it, and I found myself lingering for even longer than usual. I just love Cat Power. Her voice, her charm, everything.