Friday, March 30, 2007

ISTANBUL | Just in from Pamukkale

Hi Everyone. I've just came back this morning from Pamukkale. They have these beautiful limestone formations that I love. Pictures will have to come later - when I return.

I'm blogging from Antique Hostel, in Sultanahmet - which is the heart of the Istanbul tourist area. At least I have hot water shower. Oh, how I miss hot showers.

Am I enjoying myself? Let's just say the price of adventure is having to put yourself through a fair bit of physical discomfort. I have not had a decent night's sleep for four nights - having to shuttle between the different parts of Turkey, and the flight in. I know I will look back on this with fond memory - but meanwhile, I'm trying to remind myself why I'm doing this. :)

We just used the metro and the local tram service to get to the hostel. So if we explore further, we should be able to utilise the public transport service to get us further around Istanbul.

Did we have any problem in Turkey? Actually, we've no problem getting around. There's always been someone willing to help us out - as long as we're willing to ask. In fact, a lot of Turkish people speak English, and when they don't, there's always someone around who will come up to help interpret. Turkey is not the hotbed of crime that some of the travel agencies have led us to believe, ironically. So, right now we're safe and sound. Sleep deprived and a little hungry. I just had a hot shower, and my friend is oddly asking for Thai food. Huh? It is 5:09 pm in Istanbul time, and I'll drop by later.

Everyone have fun.

5 comments:

jenclair said...

Hope you get a good night's sleep soon. Nothing is a whole lot of fun when you're too tired! Here's to a warm, quiet bed and hot showers~

darkorpheus said...

Hi Jenclair, Will definitely try to get some shut eye tonight, thanks. And hot water. The luxury of it. We're looking at a full day tomorrow - because now that we've sort of figured out the public transport - there are a lot of places to go.

The beauty of travel. To think we were so scared before we came.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures! Is the hostel where you are staying at noisy? Hope you do get some good shut eye and have fun, fun exploring all the sights!

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Lucky you!!!! How exotic. Remember some of us are living vicariously through you! Hope you are having a great time!!

darkorpheus said...

iliana: The hostel is fine - not noisy at all. (It has good reviews from www.hostelworld.com too - just in case you're ever interested in coming to Istanbul.) Rather peaceful actually. Although a bunch of boys came in late last night, started chatting loudly, but they soon quiet down.

Danielle: Haha! Living vicariously without all the 8-10 hours bus rides, sleep-deprivation, the getting lost and panicking briefly, the muscle aches from walking, the rain and the chilly winds - wait, I'm supposed to be having fun, right? ;p

Right. Having fun, tonnes of it!

Hope I don't disappoint everyone with my photography skills. Or the lack of it.