Friday, September 05, 2008

MEME | VGT Omnivore’s Hundred

I found this meme at Yogamum's and I had to do it.

Yes, some of you may remember I'm vegetarian. But I'm a vegetarian only for the past 4~5 years (I think. I lost count). Before my salad days, a lot of rubbish went into my mouth.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile - It was on the menu, so I tried. No big deal
6. Black pudding - I am indifferent to it
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari - oh please. it's just sotong where I come from.
12. Pho - it's just glass noodles
13. PB&J sandwich - Yes. It'only Peanut Butter and Jelly
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - There's no hotdog street carts in Singapore, and why would I travel just to eat hotdogs?
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - I think I had strawberry and cherry wine before.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes - Only the imported type.
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras - Again, before I turned vegetarian. Don't tell me it's inhumane, because in my meat-eating days, I had shark's fin soup.
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - I love them cooked or raw.
29. Baklava - I vaguely remember having them in Turkey, and later back home in a Greek restaurant
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - I could eat a whole bag of them
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi - I always order it when I'm in an Indian restaurant
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float - A&W used to have them in those big frosted glass mugs. Loved them
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - Nope. I will try it but I don't think anything of it.
37. Clotted Cream Tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - OMG. I want to try
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - Those deep-fried crickets you can buy from the streets of Bangkok. They just taste - deep-fried.
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk - Usually from the Indian store
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Too expensive
46. Fugu - Okay, never. Only because it's too expensive
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - From Japanese sushi places. Many times
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - There is no Krispy Kreme in Singapore!
50. Sea urchin - Yeah. Many times
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone - It's staple for Chinese New Year
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - That's before they downsized the Big Mac
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV - I think it's illegal here.
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin - I do not eat dirt
64. Currywurst
65. Durian - Hello? I am Singaporean. We eat durians. It is the King of Fruits.
66. Frogs’ legs - I love frog legs. Er - this is before my salad days.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis - I really want to try haggis. *sigh*
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe - I think it's banned here.
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill - All the flesh I eat are killed with intent.
76. Baijiu - Yes. It's just Chinese wine.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - I have no idea what it is.
78. Snail - Yes, the buttered kind from French restaurants and the Chinese kind that's cooked in chilli-oil and you suck the bugger out of their shell. I LOVED THEM.
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini - Just cocktail
81. Tom yum - of course. But the best tom yum is of course in Thailand itself
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - one day, when I have money
85. Kobe beef - Only because it's too expensive.
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse - If I wasn't vegetarian, and if it's affordable, I would eat it.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - Only because I haven't looked for it intentionally
100. Snake - Oh yes. We skewered the meat and made satay

[FAQs]

I pretty much will eat anything if I can afford it - although these days, as a matter of principle, I am vegetarian. That fact as it stands, has not diminished my curiosity about how the food taste.

Clay and roadkill however, are not food. I'm not sure which is worse - eating clay or roadkill?

Anyone else want to try?

12 comments:

serene said...

This is so freaky! I just did this meme last night! I think it's so cute that Pocky's on the list...

darkorpheus said...

Serene - I smiled at the Pocky mention too. Remember those Japanese Pocky ads from days gone by?

"Oh-kay, POOCKY!"

Yogamum said...

If you ever come visit me, I will make you vodka Jello (aka Jello shots)! I haven't had them since my much younger, sillier days!

darkorpheus said...

Yogamum - Awesome! But how do you make them? Can we pick the flavours?

Yogamum said...

Google jello shot recipes! Yep, you can pick the flavors! I like strawberry!

darkorpheus said...

Yogamum - Will do that! Better do it before I fly out to Dubai. :p

Good lord, I'm a drunk.

Yogamum said...

Be sure to let me know how it goes!!!

darkorpheus said...

Yogamum - *wide-eyed* There's one for Peanut Butter and Jelly Jell-O shot:

Peanut Butter and Jelly Jell-O Shot
Grape “Jelly”:
3 oz. package grape Jell-O
8 oz. (1 cup) boiling water
8 oz. vodka
Peanut Butter:
1 envelope plain gelatin
8oz. (1 cup) cold water
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
2 oz. Bailey’s Irish cream
2 oz. Amaretto
2 oz. butterscotch schnapps or hazelnut liqueur
Sprinkle gelatin powder over cold water in top pan of double boiler. Let sit for a few minutes. Heat gelatin in double boiler over hot water until it liquefies. Add peanut butter, heat and stir until peanut butter is completely melted into gelatin. Remove from heat, let cool to room temperature, then add combined liquors. Fill cups halfway with peanut butter mixture, chill for 2 hours, then top with grape mixture and chill again.

darkorpheus said...

Oh, wait - just remembered I need to substitute the gelatin. Normal jell-O is not vegetarian:

"Regular gelatin is made from boiled down cow and pig bones and connective tissue, making it unsuitable for folks who don’t eat animals. There are some alternatives, such as agar agar or vegetarian gelatin made from vegetable gums."

Vegan Fuzzy Navel Gelatin Shot
2 Tbsp. vegetarian gelatin or agar agar
1 cup boiling orange juice
4 oz. vodka
4 oz. peach schnapps

Vegan Margarita Gelatin Shot
2 Tbsp. vegetarian gelatin or agar agar
1 cup boiling limeade
4 oz. tequila
4 oz. margarita or sweet and sour mix

I know what I'm doing this weekend. :)

Doc Martian said...

you should look up dulce de leche. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulce_de_leche

its sweetened condensed milk where the sugar has been heated until it caramelizes. yummiest ice cream topping ever.

Yogamum said...

Be sure to post photos of your concoctions!!!

Doc Martian said...

p.s. vegan mole poblano http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/blackbeanchillichoco_2411.shtml

tasty with a bean and cheese burrito too... as a sauce on top or inside.

p.s. jello shots... easy as pie.... replace the cold water (50% of the water in the recipe) with vodka.