Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MUSIC MONDAY | Falling by Lacuna Coil

My boss showed me a book today. "Here: you'll like this," he said. It was a book on metal bands round the world. I was enraptured by the sheer inspiration of some of the band-names. And the number of Scandinavian death metal bands out there is also very impressive. Or, to paraphrase Anthony Bourdain: how did a region that produces ABBA end up with so many death metal bands? Baffling, isn't it?

As I was going through the different categories of metal bands, I started to pick out some of the bands I do know and listen to. They are all conveniently classified under the Progressive/Symphonic/Gothic Metal section. Nice to have your taste so easily classified behind so many slashes. Yet again, I managed to surprise people with my taste. Afterall, if I'm an English major who works in a bookstore, who likes Tracy Chapman, Sarah McLachlan, Patti Smith, Pixies and Sleater-Kinney - I can't possibly like symphonic goth rock, right?

Here's one of those bands that I am not supposed to even know about - much less like: Lacuna Coil, an Italian rock/metal band. I have picked "Falling", a song I never grew tired of listening to. I like the basslines on this song.

(The Youtube video here is from a fan-vid of an anime. It will have to do.)


I lay, looking my hands
I search in these lines
I've not the answer
I'm crying and I don't know
Watching the sky
I search for an answer
I'm free, free to be
I'm not another liar
I just want to be myself...myself

And now the beat inside of me
Is a sort of a cold breeze and I've
Never any feeling inside
Ruining me...
Bring my body
Carry it into another world
I know I live...but like a stone I'm falling down

I pray, looking into the sky
I can feel this rain
Right now it's falling on me
Fly, I just want to fly
Life is all mine
Some days I cry alone,
But I know I'm not the only one
I'm here, another day is gone
I don't want to die...
Please be there when I'll arrive, don't cry...please

3 comments:

Doc Martian said...

http://www.amazon.com/Jaktens-Tid-Finntroll/dp/B00005O6MW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234893382&sr=8-1

finntroll. polka/deathmetal/humppa (finnish folk) with a theme of christianaphagous trolls who live in the wilds of finland.

Anonymous said...

These lyrics are stupendous, and I love this song! Thanks for sharing this band with us - I'll definitely check out more. People are often surprised I hold in my heart a deep and abiding love for metal from the eighties - there is just something so magnificent about it.

Stephanie said...

I'm a huge fan of Lacuna Coil. I've seen them live a couple of times (opening for other bands). This is a great song!