Friday, July 04, 2008

Taking a Break on 4th of July

It's the 4th of July, and I believe some of you out there get a day's rest. :)

I took a day off today. I'm hoping to run some errands (eg. develop at least 12 passport-sized photos in case I need them - for the Dubai work permit, residential visa etc). The jury is still out on going over. Meanwhile I'm still preparing for the trip, but also mentally preparing myself in case it doesn't work out.

It sucks being left in the limbo like that. People have tried explaining to me it's not their fault. It was the circumstances. Yes, they are not responsible for the circumstance - but they are responsible for the manner in which they handled the situation. The very lack of transparency is what pisses me off. That these people who you work for are willing to shuffle you around and drain every last drop of you - and they don't believe in honest communication. That their reservation for NOT giving you the full facts is: they are afraid you might change your mind about going to Dubai.

WTF.

They expect me to put one year of my life on hold for them. Of course I need the facts to make an informed decision. Do they think my life doesn't matter?

But enough about stupid employers.

I'm also hoping to get some reading done today. Maybe even blog something about The Making of a Chef, which I found very useful. I will probably continue reading Kitchen Confidential, and some of the comics trade paperback I bought a while back. Later in the evening I will probably drop by for yoga class.

I just want to take a break right now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

and you need it by the sounds of it! i can definitely sympathise: i HATE being in a limbo like that. i find one can't think of anything or apply oneself to anything at all...!

darkorpheus said...

JP Thanks, JP. Instad of reading I found myself napping though. Guess I'm a little emotionally burned out afterall.

Doc Martian said...

i've found that usually jobs start as good as they're going to get.

maybe you've had different experiences.

it'd be way worse getting caught in limbo over there.

Cheers,
Doc

p.s. i'm way tired right now, maybe that needs more explication or reassurance. but its rare that crazymakers get any better in my experience.

darkorpheus said...

Doc Right now my frustration is colouring everything about this job.

But I suspect I'll still be in limbo over there,worrying about getting an apartment, getting the utilities up etc.

Ana S. said...

Yeah, I hate that kind of uncertainty...and lack of transparency annoys the hell out of me too. Things are so much easier when people communicate clearly. I hope you had a good day off and managed to get some well-deserved rest.

Anonymous said...

You are handling the Dubai uncertainty quite well! I hope you had a great day off.

darkorpheus said...

Nymeth Thanks. I will definitely try.

Stefanie Thanks. But besides trying to deal with it, I don't know what else to do.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget you're dealing with bureaucrats as well. Enjoy yourself and have a break while they take their time.

When are you moving to Dubai? Do you have a tentative date?