Tuesday, July 01, 2008

JULY WoYo | Step Up and Fall

[Cross-posted at WoYoPracMo]

Today is 1st July, the start of July WoYo where we practice every day of the month. I tell myself: You're moving to Dubai in August! You have no time for this!. This is so much to do, so little time - not to mention the slowly rising waves of complicated emotions (frustration, excitement, fear, relief). My mind just isn't in the place for such a sustained and focused practice. Not for July anyway.

Yet at the back of my mind, I know that I will never be able to find time for yoga - unless I find time for yoga. If I can't practice here and now, at home - how am I going to sustain a regular practice away from home?

I have been avoiding Ashtanga classes since I resumed practice after the surgery - I just didn't feel strong enough. It is just fear though - because Child's Pose is always an option. I avoided Ashtanga class because I did not like not being as strong as I used to be. Just the ego talking.

So I made a pact with myself today: If I show up for Ashtanga 1 class tonight, I shall step up for July WoYo.

I made it to class this evening.

So I'm in.

As for tonight's practice:

I usually practice Salamba Sirsasana (Supported Headstand) near a wall. But tonight the teacher decided we should try it without the wall. The first attempt up was good - I stayed steady for about 7 breaths, then came down with control. My second attempt was less graceful and I ended up falling on my back. I survived, and laughed when I fell.

Even the falling is part of the fun. I have to remember that. :)

No comments: